Xiaomi leads the India smartphone market; however, Reliance Jio is overall leader. Thanks to huge growth in feature phone segment.
Overall India mobile phone shipments crossed 330 Million units – Smartphones capturing almost 44% of the total volume in 2018
- Feature phones growth was propelled by Jio Phone sales; registering higher growth as compared to smartphone sales India
- Xiaomi & Jio emerged as market leaders in both smartphone & feature phone segment respectively
JioPhone topped the overall Indian market across all handset types and helped the country’s feature phone shipments grow faster than smartphones for the first time, as per the report from Counterpoint.
At an aggregate level, JioPhone had a 21% share of the overall handset market and commanded 38% of the feature phone segment, which grew 11% in 2018.
However, India’s smartphone market expanded 10% in 2018 to become the fastest-growing in the world.
India and Middle East are driving the feature phone market, capturing almost 3/4th of global sales in 2018. Though in India, smartphone market is growing and most likely will touch 50% mark, however feature phones remain relevant.
A glimpse at the global Smartphone scenario:
- The global, premium smartphone segment grew faster (+18%) than the overall smartphone segment (-2%) in 2018. Growth driven by – Apple, Samsung and Google. Chinese players like Huawei, OPPO and vivo also followed this trend
- Apple led the global premium smartphone segment capturing 51% share of the segment, followed by Samsung (22%) and Huawei (10%)
- OnePlus remains one of the fastest growing brands in the $400-$600 segment. The success of OnePlus in India drove the overall premium smartphone shipments in the country to a record number in a single year. Brand is also making inroads in European and US markets.