India’s internet users expected to register double digit growth to reach 627 million in 2019, driven by rapid internet growth in rural areas as per the market research agency Kantar IMRB.
The report indicated a that the number of internet users in India has registered an annual growth of 18 percent and is estimated at 566 million in 2018, a 40 percent overall internet penetration, it observed.
With the Projected numbers close to 627 Million by end of 2019, half of the India population is likely to have an access to internet connection.
Looking at the current Internet Usage in India :
- It projected a double digit growth for 2019 and estimates that the number of internet users will reach 627 million by the end of this year.
- Of the total user base, 87 percent or 493 million Indians, are defined as regular users, having accessed internet in last 30 days.
- Nearly 293 million active internet users reside in urban India, while there are 200 million active users in rural India, it said.
- The report found that 97 percent of users use mobile phone as one of the devices to access internet.
- Interment growth in Urban was 7%, however the growth came from Rural centers which registered a growth of over 35%
- Bihar registered the highest growth in internet users across both urban and rural areas, registering a growth of 35 percent over last year.
- Internet usage is no more a male skewed phenomenon but gradual shift is evident. Now women users are pegged at about 42%.
The growth has been propelled by rural areas where the access to data & availability is now easily available. Data cost is decreasing and awareness is also on rise.